Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day thoughts

Savannah marched in a parade at Canyon Lake for Memorial Day!



Sydney performed partriotic songs at school to celebrate Memorial Day!



First Grade Stars!



Some of you may not know this, but I come from a family with a military background. I grew up in a little town that is attached to a Navy base. My dad's dad was a Commander in the Navy and served for many years. My dad and his brothers were all in the army and served during Vietnam in different ways. One uncle, Ken, flew in helicopters and my dad served in Germany (where I was almost born) in the late 60's and early 70's. I think that I heard that my dad wasn't sent to Vietnam because his brothers were there! On my mom's side, I had an uncle, my mom's brother, John, who was in the army and was killed in Vietnam in 1969. I never new him, but have heard wonderful stories about his life and I have visited his name at the Vietnam Wall. My mom's dad was in the army for a short time early in his life, but had to get out due to his health. My mom's other brother was also in a branch of the military. I have a cousin who is in the Navy and has served for twenty years mostly in different parts of the Gulf. Another cousin retired from the Marines a couple of years ago. Rob's dad was in the Navy for about 20 years and then worked for contractors that worked with the military. He is at Arlington National Cemetery. Rob's grandpa George was in the Navy in the 20's.

Our family has been lucky. My uncle John has been the only person (that I know of) that we have lost while serving. Others have not been as lucky. We have lost many men and women. My heart goes out to the families who have lost loved ones and friends and my hope is that the troops who are serving, wherever they are, stay safe and also come home soon!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

That was beautiful Mrs. Hornez. Rob, your dad is definitely proud of you!

Followers

Products I Love

  • Cricut Expressions