Saturday, November 14, 2009

Tis the Season to Be Crafty!


Stocking by Grandma Jo



Rob says it is the season to eat and watch football....I say it is the season to be crafty! I love to find a holiday craft and start working on it as I watch tv or movies snuggled under a blanket. I have been crocheting, but that has started hurting my wrists, so I took a break. Then I started looking at Christmas gifts and started thinking about my Christmas decorations. Some of my favorite
decorations are stockings that my grandma handmade, each sequin hand stitched and the letters cut out of felt and sewn on. I love these stockings and they are so special to me. I put them up every year and remember the times that I did Christmas baking and crafting with her. I realized that my grandma was never able to make a stocking for my nephew George. I decided to try and see if I could copy her beautiful craft"woman"ship and make his stocking. It was a little scary starting out. I wasn't sure if I would be able to cut anything out of felt and make it look like it was supposed to. I wasn't sure how my wrists would take hand sewing all of the sequins. Well I am excited with how it is working out so far. I decided to try a snow man, poinsettia, and a truck. So far they look great! The sequin sewing is a little tedious, but also surprisingly therapeutic. I actually can't wait until work and the daily grind is over, so that I can begin sewing at night! I haven't told my brother that I am making this and I hope to surprise him with it. George won't understand the meaning behind it yet...but I can't wait until he understands and knows how special it is and he is!





My work, with the snowman, next to grandma's work

2 comments:

Alicia said...

It looks amazing Amy! He's going to love it!

Mona said...

You have lots of sewing to do!!! They look great! When George gets older he will appreciate his aunt and the family tradition!

Followers

Products I Love

  • Cricut Expressions